Sunday, June 27, 2010

Photo Tip for Inspiration,

Yesterday, I blogged about a meeting that I had with a couple photog friends, Melissa and Julie.  They wanted a few pointers and tips so here is one of my favorite tips.  I enjoy looking at Brides magazines and can pour over the images for hours.  There is a wealth of inspiration just in studying the lighting, angle, perspective and poses that made an image successful enough to get published in a national magazine.  As my bridal shoot with Kristin began, Norma (bride's mom) asked me how she could be helpful.  Oh, goodie I thought...there is something that I would looove for Norma to do for me.  Hold that thought...,

Before Kristin and Norma arrived, I was glancing through a couple of my bridal magazines that I found in my car.  As I noticed what I considered winning shots, I dogeared the pages throughout and stashed the magazines in my shoot sack.  Then, my bride and mom showed up and I found a glorious place for her to stand.  The backdrop was an historic plantation homesite.  My own sweet mama came along in order to assist & hold the bounce reflector for me. So, Norma asked, "How can I help?"  Here is the point where I got the idea to take Norma up on her generous offer to help.  I referred to the dogeared magazine in my shoot sack and asked her to tear out those pages.  She questioned me, "Just tear them out?"  :)  yep!,..."Just tear them out...!"  And, she did.  After we had been on location for over an hour, I turned to Norma and asked her to grab those tear sheets for me.  I showed Kristin a few of the images that I had found inspiring earlier.   I asked her if she would like to try to replicate the pose?  Sure, she said!  Seeing an example made it easy for her to understand the sort of creative expression that I was going for.  I found a wonderful backdrop and together, Kristin and I came up with a winning interpretation of the magazine image with our own twist.

I hope this photo tip helps. When you need a shot of inspiration, use a tear sheet.  My mom captured these images of me at work on a bridal photo shoot and doing what I love.  Looks like Norma is taking a break from tearing sheets to glance up and get a sneaky peak of how gorgeous her daughter is 'all in white'!  Priceless! 

                                    *Both Photos in this post taken by:  Betty Slaton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. I love meeting new and old friends through my blog. Remember, to sign up as a follower if you wish. Also, if you have a blog, please leave a me a link to you. You are important to me! Be Blessed. Michelle