Sunday, August 1, 2010

Brandilyn and me - photo field trip to the State Capital

Brandilyn, my niece, went on a photo field trip with me to the State Capital a few days ago.  I had some resources that I needed to return to ELBA so I asked her if she wanted to ride with me.  Brandi is always so easy to be around.  Anyway, another place that I had in mind to visit was the Walker Museum.  I had seen that John Gallager's beautiful nature photography was currently on display.   When she jumped into my car, I handed her my Panansonic Lumix and told her she can take shots of anything that she finds interesting. 

Silly me, I went to Walker and realized that I had not gotten the directions to the museum.  We stopped at the Police Station and they helped me with directions.  We finally found our destination and went inside the small old house turned local museum.  They have really put together a very nice collection of artifacts.  I especially loved looking over all the old photos that are posted on huge display boards.  One in particular, piqued my imagination.  It looked like a WWII period photo in sepia coloring of a couple in love.  What I liked was the manner in which the man had his arms wrapped around his girl.  It was like he was hugging her around the waist in that WWII kind of way.  I know, I know....hugging in a WWII kind of way?  That was so silly and vague sounding to try to describe it like that.  If you would see it, you might know.  The way they were laughing into the camera was terrific also.  It made me want to attempt to recreate the vibe and style of that earlier era.  I find it so interesting how there is a certain 'flavor' about those old photos.   I think my parents would very, very much enjoy browsing through this museum.  Lots of local interests there.  I can't wait to go back and discover many more treasures. 

After we left the Walker Museum, Brandi and I decided to go to the new State Capital tower lookout.  I had not been there since I was a little grade school kid.  Listen, I remember that school field trip and I didn't like it at all.  Oh my goodness, walking up to the guard rail and feeling the sway was terrifying.  Dizzy!  All I wanted to do was sit down flat on the ground.  So, almost 40 years later, I went back to the tower lookout.  As we were riding the elevator to the 24th floor, I could feel that school kid apprehension rising up in me.  But, I decided that I could do this now.   At floor 24, we had to catch a different elevator that went up to the tip- top of the tower.   Ok, we made it.  I stepped out onto the landing and voila!  I did it!  It was not so bad.  Although, when I would walk around, I kinda got a bit dizzy.  I asked Brandi if she felt it too.  She said she did. 

I took some pics of Brandi.  Here she is taking pics from the top of the State Capital tower lookout.   The following pictures are Brandi's images.  To Bran, I think you have mad skill!  I love you and Happy Sweet 16 on Thursday, next week!!!
She took the picture of my reflection as I was studying the replica model of the Old State Capital Building in the glass case.  I saw my own reflection and was reminded of an photographer's interesting work that I had seen here:   http://craftandvision.com/authors/eli-reinholdtsen/   Her name is  Eli Reinholdsten.  She sells a pdf version of her book Chasing Reflections.   She teaches technique to capture artistic reflections in photographs. 

I had just seen the front cover of Reinholdsten's advertised book this morning so it was fresh on my mind when I noticed my reflection.  I asked Brandilyn to try to capture the image.  At first, I could see her and the camera in the glass reflection. I knew she would be in the picture and it would not be as effective.  So, I asked her to move around to the side until I did not see her camera reflection.  We laughed as she kept adjusting her position around the glass case in order to capture the right angle.  You can see the lady and son who walked into the room as we were experimenting. We just kept going with our project.   It was fun and her photo turned out neat.  To me, when you catch human reflections, sometimes it appears as an apparition. wooooooo....spooky. 

I gotta say, "Great job, Bee-RaaN!"  :) Oh, yeah and congrats on that driving learner's permit! 

I think I am going to purchase that pdf that I mentioned.  It is only $5.00.  I think that it is great value and definitely worth a look see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. I love meeting new and old friends through my blog. Remember, to sign up as a follower if you wish. Also, if you have a blog, please leave a me a link to you. You are important to me! Be Blessed. Michelle